True Power

True Power

Monday, May 23, 2011

HEY YOU!!!!! What's in a name?

I don't know how many years it has been exactly, but there was a time when women were addressed by the name of their husband e.g. Mrs. Tom Jones. I saw just the other day a title of a Christian article offering the subject of whether or not married Christian women should keep their surname verses taking on their husband's surname. I didn't read the article because I did not want to know the Christian spin on the subject or maybe I didn't read it because I believed I knew the Christian position on the subject. Now, I wish I had read it.

I began to think more about "What does a name say about us as women?" Does taking our husband's name make any dramatic statement one way or the other? I have often posted that one of the biggest signs that a man truely loves you is when he wants/does give you and your future children his last name; he is willing to proclaim to the world 'I love HER enough for her to be a complete part of me by sharing my name.' Lovely sentiment when viewed through my rose colored glasses. I guess there are those who will hold to the old truth of the surname being a monicur of ownership and possession.

Let's move from surnames to first names. I read the credits for movies and televisions shows and I can barely pronounce the names. The more difficult the name is to spell or say, the prouder the mother seems to be. In my family, my girls and I agreed we wanted the world to know our names and thus wanted our names to be easy to spell and pronounce. I guess vanity has its place.

I made a truly dumb statement once "Women are so hormonal while pregnant and these names they choose for their babies would not seem as cleaver once the hormones settle. Women should not be allowed to name their babies until after they are born." Did you catch it? Yeah, notice how cleaver I was without raging hormones.

I think I have said in prior posts how proud I am of my name: DOROTHY. In my youth I dreamed of the day when I would become an adult and petition the court to change my name. Somewhere along the way, I gained respect for the name I was coronated with at the day of my birth. Somewhere along the line I became DOROTHY.
Dorothy \d(o)-ro-thy\ as a girl's name is pronounced DOR-a-thee. It is of Greek origin, and the meaning of Dorothy is "gift of God". This ia how the Greek phrase Δώρων Θεός meaning "Gift of God looks  Theodora is its synonym. Literary: the heroine of Frank Baum's "The Wonderful World of Oz", published in 1900. Writers Dorothy Parker, Dorothy Sayers; actresses Dorothy Gish, Dorothy Lamour are a few famous Dorothys.


Dorothy has 40 variant forms: Dasha, Dasya, Dodie, Dody, Doe, Doll, Dolley, Dolli, Dollie, Dolly, Doortje, Dora, Doretta, Dori, Dorika, Dorinda, Dorit, Dorita, Doritha, Dorlisa, Doro, Doronit, Dorota, Dorotea, Dorotha, Dorothea, Dorothee, Dortha, Dorrit, Dorthea, Dorthy, Dory, Dosha, Dosya, Dot, Dottey, Dottie, Dotty, Tea and Thea.

Dorothy is a very popular first name for women (#10 out of 4276) and also a very popular surname or last name for all people (#19719 out of 88799). (1990 U.S. Census) 
 
My Greek name meaning 'Gift of God' has put some pressure on me. I asked myself "Was I born a Gift of God or am I supposed to live up to and become or do something worthy to be called a Gift of God?"
 
If words have power, as the Bible tells us, there is power in the words we speak; we can murder with our words. While on the subject of the bible, we are given definitions of the names of key people in the Bible. Many of their destinies were in line with their names and some names were changed as their destiny/purpose changed.
 
From 1880-1950, Dorothy was a popular name; ranking in the top 5 of names for girls. In 2000 the name bottomed out.
In Hebrew my name is spelled :  דּוֹרוֹתִּי
 
Looks pretty good in Chinese           桃乐丝
The first section or character of my name in Chinese means peach or a surname.
The second section or character means Happy, glad, joyful, cheerful.  Enjoy, be glad to, love, find pleasure in; laugh, be amused.  Pleasure, enjoyment.  Gladly, happily, willingly, or a surname.
The third section or character of my name means Silk; a threadlike thing; a tiny bit. A unit of weight (=0.0005 grams).
 
Even in numerology my name has meaning. Numerology is an ancient science which was developed by Pythagoras. Numerology offers an insight into the personality by assigning numeric values to the letters contained in names. The results provide the hidden meaning of the name Dorothy. Each letter contained in the name is assigned a number. Every number is associated with specific characteristics. Work out the value of each of the letters in your name using the following table:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

A B C D E F G H I

J K L M N O P Q R

S T U V W X Y Z

Example: Cathy

C A T H Y       B R O W N E

3 1 2 8 7          2 9 6 5 5 5

Add together all the numbers of the name Cathy (3+1+2+8+7) = 21 and Browne (2+9+6+5+5+5) = 32

Then add together the values 21+32 = 53

Then add together 5+3 = 8
The numerological value, or Name Number, of the example name is therefore 8. Use this method of numerology to calculate the value of your full name and find the hidden meanings and characteristics of the name Dorothy together with any middle names and your last name. ***My number is 1 when using my first, middle, and last name.

Number Meaning & Characteristics


1 Competitive - a leader, independent, strength, creative and original

2 Diplomatic - friendly, tactful, peaceful, gentle and sensitive

3 Optimistic - Easygoing, sociable, spontaneous and humorous

4 Traditionalist - Determined, reliable, conservative, activist and organised

5 Creative - Free spirited, artistic, enquiring, innovative and influential

6 Contributor - Responsible, careful, conventional and reliable

7 Inventive - Imaginative, resourceful, eccentric, quiet and thoughtful

8 Organizer - Leadership skills, planner, strong, high achiever and sound judgment

9 Humanitarian - Compassionate, caring, charitable and civilised


The numerical value of just DOROTHY is 5:
Numerological Analysis: Represents people who are impulsive, instinctive, like changes, dynamic, need freedom and space with unconventional personality. Able to do several things at once, adaptive, charismatic and acceptable in society. Have a sense of distinction and sense of criticism. Like freedom and tend to lack a sense of time.

It is evident that when you say my name, a name I once hated, you are saying a mouthful. It doesn't have any uniquie vowel combinations and it is not a compilation of my mother's and father's name, but I think it was the perfect choice.








 

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

where can i buy xanax online legally xanax effects how long - xanax dosage 0.25mg

Anonymous said...

buy valium india valium xanax drug test - valium recreational usage

Anonymous said...

buy xanax online xanax effects .5mg - how to buy xanax without rx

Anonymous said...

zolpidem online side effects of zolpidem withdrawal - what is zolpidem tartrate used to treat

Anonymous said...

buy xanax online where to buy xanax bars online - xanax side effects wiki

Anonymous said...

alprazolam online order xanax online no prescription mastercard - xanax 1mg price

Anonymous said...

generic valium valium generic drug - physical side effects valium

Anonymous said...

buy ativan ativan white round pill - ativan 1mg street value

Anonymous said...

ativan sale ativan dosage elderly - ativan dose get high

Anonymous said...

ambien no rx ambien side effects throwing up - does 10mg ambien pill look like

Anonymous said...

buy ambien online buy discount ambien - ambience mall gurgaon entertainment

Anonymous said...

order soma carisoprodol package insert - where can i buy somanabolic muscle maximizer

Anonymous said...

cheap diazepam sheldon high valium - purchase valium

Anonymous said...

buy ambien online ambien buy - ambien cr withdrawal

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for sharing this with all of us you actually know what you're talking about! Bookmarked. Please also visit my site =). We could have a link exchange agreement between us!

Visit my website facebookofsex
Also see my page > sex facebook

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.formspring.me/sjshop]buy amlodipine online[/url] buy amlodipine 5 mg online [url=http://www.formspring.me/hjshop]buy ibuprofen 800 mg online[/url] if you buy some ibuprofen [url=http://www.formspring.me/kmarket]buy ultracod online[/url] buy ultracod online [url=http://www.formspring.me/hshop]buying dihydrocodeine in the uk[/url] order hydrocodone online [url=http://www.formspring.me/llshop]buy paracetamol tablets[/url] purchase paracetamol online [url=http://www.formspring.me/xcshop]buy azur online[/url] buy azur online [url=http://www.formspring.me/kshop]tramadol order online tramadol 50g[/url] buy tramadol overnight delivery no prescription [url=http://www.formspring.me/dshop]buy codeine online canada[/url] order codeine europe

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.formspring.me/HeikkiBarry]buy claritine online[/url] [url=http://www.formspring.me/SuomalTyler]telfast 120 buy[/url] [url=http://www.formspring.me/PontusRojas]buy clarinase singapore[/url] [url=http://www.formspring.me/TiihonenBallard]order cetirizine hydrochloride[/url] [url=http://www.formspring.me/TimonenDoyle]buy tavegil uk[/url] [url=http://www.formspring.me/VeliHarrell]buy zyrtec d generic[/url] [url=http://www.formspring.me/TenoiWoodward]order Anafranil[/url] [url=http://www.formspring.me/ViiniRasmussen]buy amitriptyline for cats[/url] [url=http://www.formspring.me/ViljakainDavid]buy prozac in australia[/url] [url=http://www.formspring.me/SulanderMercer]buy zoloft online uk[/url]

Anonymous said...

Hi there, You've done a fantastic job. I'll certainly digg it and personally suggest
to my friends. I'm sure they will be benefited from this website.

Anonymous said...

Asking questions are actually fastidious thing if you are not understanding anything fully, but this piece of writing presents pleasant understanding even.


Feel free to surf to my web-site pirater un compte facebook

Anonymous said...

Quality articles is the main to attract the users to pay a
visit the web site, that's what this website is providing.

Feel free to surf to my web blog ... Psn Code Generator

Lin Shijun said...

shijun 7.21
louis vuitton handbags
ralph lauren uk
coach outlet store online
ncaa jerseys
fendi handbags
timberland uk
ralph lauren outlet online
kobe bryant shoes for kids
louis vuitton
michael kors handbags
air max 95
toms shoes
michael kors outlet
coach outlet
ralph lauren outlet
oakley sunglasses
louis vuitton
michael kors
michael kors handbags
michael kors handbags
michael kors purse
louis vuitton outlet
chanel handbags
hollister outlet
cheap chanel handbags
burberry outlet
louboutin femme pas cher
abercrombie and fitch outlet
marc jacobs bags
coach outlet online
fitflops
lululemon outlet
jordan 13s
ray ban outlet store
tod's shoes
ralph lauren home
kate spade
gucci shoes
jordan 11
toms shoes

oakleyses said...

replica watches, michael kors outlet online, polo ralph lauren outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, jordan shoes, uggs outlet, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin, nike free, oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, longchamp outlet, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, burberry outlet, prada handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet online, nike outlet, christian louboutin uk, longchamp outlet, gucci handbags, uggs outlet, replica watches, tiffany and co, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, burberry handbags, nike air max, tiffany jewelry, uggs on sale, nike air max, michael kors outlet online, polo outlet, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, ugg boots, christian louboutin outlet, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet

oakleyses said...

louboutin pas cher, nike roshe, polo lacoste, sac vanessa bruno, north face, replica handbags, jordan pas cher, true religion jeans, nike blazer pas cher, timberland pas cher, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free uk, michael kors, true religion outlet, ralph lauren uk, coach outlet, hollister pas cher, north face uk, ray ban pas cher, burberry pas cher, lululemon canada, nike air force, longchamp pas cher, polo ralph lauren, nike roshe run uk, coach purses, sac hermes, oakley pas cher, guess pas cher, vans pas cher, air max, nike free run, new balance, sac longchamp pas cher, abercrombie and fitch uk, mulberry uk, converse pas cher, nike air max, nike tn, coach outlet store online, hogan outlet, nike air max uk, michael kors, nike air max uk, michael kors pas cher, hollister uk, true religion outlet, ray ban uk, kate spade

oakleyses said...

north face outlet, iphone 5s cases, north face outlet, louboutin, mont blanc pens, p90x workout, nike trainers uk, soccer shoes, asics running shoes, jimmy choo outlet, ghd hair, soccer jerseys, nike air max, iphone 6s plus cases, hollister clothing, baseball bats, iphone 6s cases, iphone cases, bottega veneta, hollister, ralph lauren, nike roshe run, babyliss, valentino shoes, insanity workout, mcm handbags, instyler, mac cosmetics, chi flat iron, ferragamo shoes, giuseppe zanotti outlet, abercrombie and fitch, nfl jerseys, lululemon, oakley, iphone 6 plus cases, timberland boots, new balance shoes, nike huaraches, ipad cases, beats by dre, vans outlet, s6 case, iphone 6 cases, reebok outlet, celine handbags, hermes belt, herve leger, wedding dresses, longchamp uk

oakleyses said...

swarovski crystal, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, gucci, thomas sabo, doudoune moncler, juicy couture outlet, wedding dresses, toms shoes, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, montre pas cher, pandora uk, ugg uk, swarovski, louis vuitton, marc jacobs, moncler outlet, vans, moncler, coach outlet, ray ban, supra shoes, canada goose uk, links of london, canada goose, converse outlet, moncler, converse, canada goose, canada goose outlet, barbour, lancel, louis vuitton, moncler uk, moncler, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, barbour uk, replica watches, canada goose outlet, hollister, canada goose outlet, ugg, ugg pas cher, karen millen uk, nike air max, pandora jewelry, pandora jewelry, hollister, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, pandora charms

This Could Be Me At Your Next Event

This Could Be Me At Your Next Event
Author And Public Speaker

NEED A SPEAKER FOR YOUR NEXT EVENT?

Do you have an upcoming gardening, church, or women's event planned and need a speaker? Contact me. I can speak on various topics such as:

1. Detangling Ancient Mythology From Christianity
2. The Female Presence In The History Of Christianity
3. Superstitions and Gardening In The 21st Century
4. The Politics Of Prayer: The Bible Speaks
5. African American Geneaology: Pride From The Grave


Contact me at rizerfall@yahoo.com for booking arrangements

Book Reviews

I review for BookSneeze