True Power

True Power

Saturday, July 26, 2014

The Beginning of LOVE or just SEX

   
                                              
Many years ago a thought came to me about being in love and married and how people seem to have gotten it wrong. I thought about the dreaded "Seven Year Itch" people would prophesy about happening in a marriage. If a couple survived it then they would have to face the second cousin itch; "Eleventh Year itch" which appears to be even more treacherous.
.
With such dismaying images swirling in my head I wanted my mind to go back to the floating on clouds wedding day and to the bliss of sensuous lovemaking during the honeymoon phase. I quickly, without effort, remembered the phrase "The Honeymoon Won't Last Forever." and again became dismayed at the short lifespan of happiness a marriage seems to have. Yes, I have seen the elderly couple together proud they made it for 50+ years. I still have to wonder, did they live each year hopelessly in love or did they survive a marriage and SURPRISE! we are still here together with a joint endgame in mind - "To die peacefully." Now the elderly couple are as one - same mind, same goal, same thought - they have truly reached the stage of maturity and becoming one.
It is at the above revelation when I began to ponder: "Is a marriage like the birth of a newborn?" "Does a marriage have to go through infancy, adolescence, adulthood, and old age?" And if so, how could I visualize it and show a comparison? Excitement began to build. Could I take my favorite Human Growth and Development theorist Erik Erikson and apply what he discovered about an individual entity to a newly born/ formed organism of two becoming ONE (marriage) to create a healthy - loving - sustained throughout life - relationship? Is a marriage a singular entity having to go through human growth and development? I say yes and plan to prove my own hypothesis and write a book on it. I ask you to go with me on this discovery and contribute with feed back or personal
experiences along the way.