True Power

True Power

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Ansylla's Story


Photo from google pictures


This is an interview conducted with Ansylla who rocks a great hairstyle. I appreciate her openess to share with us and hope you find her story inspiring.

When did you decide to go natural and why?

In 1996, I noticed that my mother, grandmother and an aunt all had seriously thinning hair. All I could think was, “I AM NOT trying to be bald at 40!” At the time I was wearing my low cut hair texturized, primarily for convenience. I had just moved to DC and learned of a natural hair show at Howard University presented by Cornrows & Co. Now, this was pre-Mapquest and I had no idea how to get to Howard University. But I headed to DC and after getting turned around…and around…and around, I made it when the show was about half over. When I arrived…Man! The natural styles were breathtaking. I had no idea natural hair could be so beautiful. At the end of the show, Pamela Ferrell said, ”We have considered relaxing our hair as a rite of passage. But we didn’t stop to think what would happen if we never did.” That had such an impact on me. That was the day I went natural. I’ve never used a straightening chemical on my hair since. (This was written when I was a guest blogger on Kinnks.com. I hope that's ok.)


What was the intial reaction/responses of family, friends, co-workers?

I was the first in my close circle of friends to go natural. They seemed ok with it. I can't say that I remember much negativity. My mother is the only family I lived near at the time and she had no problems with it AT ALL. However….my first trip to see my family in New Orleans, was different. They weren't too thrilled. They were speechless actually. No one really said much, but I got strange looks from family and strangers. But I didn't care. I was committed. I'm proud to say that one of my aunts and her two teenage daughters have since loc'ed their hair.


Did you notice a confidence boost or other personality changes?

I wore my loose natural hair for about 7 years and I’ve been loc’d for the past 6. Going natural was very empowering. But loc’ing was liberating. In my opinion, self acceptance is vital. And going natural was a major step in my personal growth.


What do you like or dislike about you hair?

There isn't anything that I dislike about my hair, but it would be nice if my hair were denser. I like big hair, I just wasn't born with it. But as for my locs, I love everything about them.


What is the response to your hair style now?

Though I've been loc'ed for over 6 years, I cut my locs into a bob in Sept 2008. In June 2009, I cut them even shorter. This time in an assymetrical cut with a shaved portion at the nape. LOVE IT! I did that just to show the versatility of locs. People sometimes think locs are limited because they are often just worn very long. But locs are as stylish and versatile -- if not more so -- than any other hair style.



Check her out and let her know you enjoyed her story.



Ansylla
Holistic Hair & Advanced Loc Techniques Workshops
www.myhairitage.com

This Could Be Me At Your Next Event

This Could Be Me At Your Next Event
Author And Public Speaker

NEED A SPEAKER FOR YOUR NEXT EVENT?

Do you have an upcoming gardening, church, or women's event planned and need a speaker? Contact me. I can speak on various topics such as:

1. Detangling Ancient Mythology From Christianity
2. The Female Presence In The History Of Christianity
3. Superstitions and Gardening In The 21st Century
4. The Politics Of Prayer: The Bible Speaks
5. African American Geneaology: Pride From The Grave


Contact me at rizerfall@yahoo.com for booking arrangements

Book Reviews

I review for BookSneeze