True Power

True Power

Friday, October 29, 2010

Prophets and Prophetesses

I have always had dubious feelings when someone introduced themselves as a prophet or prophetess. My mind would always go directly to Jeremiah, Obediah, Isaiah, and Elijah. I can hear the prophets of old giving their oracle (threatening message) or their burden as the book of Nahum, Habakkuk, and Malachi begins with;to the people. Many prophets of this day tell people their break through is about to occur.

When I begin to lean towards the side of suspicion I remember 1 Tessalonians 20: "do not treat prophecies with contempt." The Bible also states in 1 Corinthians 12:28-31 "And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? But eagerly desire the greater gifts" which chapter 13 tells us is love. The point is, God acknowledges prophets and so should I.

In the past five years as I accepted invitations to visit various services or churches, I have bumped into three different prophets in three different cities each telling me the same specific thing. I know you would like to know the specific thing, I'll just say it has to do with my writing ministry. I write this post because just last night I was invited to a revival where I had been asked to give a reading. To my surprise, there was a rophet there and I was called to the front. Praising God all of the way to the front of the church, I was not surprised to hear for the third time a prophesy regarding my writing. The prophetess added that she could see me up all during the night writing and that was the time God filled me with the "ideas" He wanted me to write. Being a terrible insomniac who has had to write and calm myself down from preaching outstanding sermons to myself; I had to smile at this revelation of truth. Each prophet pointed to my womb area saying God was filling me to birth a work to touch as one prophet said "A rainbow of people." He explained my ministry was global for all races. I LIKED THAT.

I received each word given to me from prophets and prophetess. I am always willing to hear from God and I promise you if a donkey speaks to me, it will have a listening ear. In My book "When Will Eve BE Forgiven?" I wrote a little about this.

It should come as no shock when Peter, Paul, and the other authors of the New Testament were writing the Bible they believed they were living in the last days waiting for the return of Jesus. Notice what Paul says in Hebrews 1:1-2, “In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe.” It is clear Paul thought he and the Christians during his lifetime were living in the last days.

In I Peter 1, Peter is telling God’s elect to live holy lives. He tells the people that due to the precious blood of Christ their faith and hope may be in God. In v. 20he said “Who verily was foreordained (Jesus) before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you.”

It is an important point to mention the fact that the apostles truly believed they were living in the last days when they were writing the letters that would later become books of the New Testament. It is important to the ancestors of Eve who are admonished not to teach or to have authority over men. In Acts 2:17-18, a book attributed to Luke, it reads: “In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days and they will prophesy.”

The actual word “prophesy” is used ninety times in the entire Bible. In the Old Testament the one word has three definable uses. Variations of the word are used and have the same meaning as the word “prophesy.” The majority of the usage of the word “prophesy” in the Old Testament is as Chazah (khaw-zaw), which is used fifty-one times. This word is a prim. Root; to gaze at, to perceive, contemplate (with pleasure), to have a vision of: - see (38 x), behold (7 x), look (3 x), prophesy (2 x), provide (1 x). The second use of the word “prophesy” is as naba (naw-baw), which is used one hundred-fifteen times. This word is a prim. Root; to prophesy i.e. speak (or sing) by inspiration (in prediction or simple discourse): - prophesy (111 x), prophesying (2 x), prophet (2 x). The last use of the word in the Old Testament is nataph (naw-taf), which is used eighteen times. This word is a prim. Root of: to ooze, i.e. distill gradually: by impl. To fall in drops; fig. to speak by inspiration: - drop (12 x), down (1 x), prophesy (4 x), prophet (1 x).

In the New Testament the Greek translation of the word is propheteuo (prof-ate-you-o), which is used twenty-eight times. In this form the word means to foretell events, divine, speak under inspiration, exercise the prophetic office: - prophesy (28 x). This word means “to be a prophet, to prophesy,” and is used (1) with primary meaning of telling forth the divine counsel and (2) of foretelling the future.

If we are in the last days, as the Scripture affirms, then women have been given the same gift of prophesy as men and with the gift comes authority to speak as directed by inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Who will be able to question, confirm, or deny whether the woman is directed to speak to a male or a female? Does the church lose sight of the mission of Christians which is to spread the gospel so that all might be saved or is the Church mission to make sure a woman does not instruct a man in the ways of the Lord? One denomination, I will not name the denomination which believes it is permissible for a woman to minister to an unbelieving male but not to a saved male. Shouldn’t we all be iron sharpening iron?

In the first chapter of Acts the apostles were gathered together in an upper room filled with 120 people. There was continued prayer while all waited for the Holy Spirit to descend upon them. Among the 120 present in the upper room was Mary, the mother of Jesus and other women. Now when the Holy Spirit descends in chapter two of the book of Acts it states in v.4 “All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.” For many interpreters of the Bible this included all that were in the upper room. To be fair, there are others who believe the Holy Spirit descended only on the twelve apostles since chapter one of Acts leaves off speaking about the apostles casting lots to determine the man who would take the place of Judas so the initial number of 12 apostles would remain intact as was selected by Jesus. I will not debate this issue at this time. It is enough to know women were present in the upper room anticipating the return of Jesus and participating in prayer alongside of the apostles.

So, for those like me who feel a little unsure when it comes to prophets, be assured Scripture is for the office. We are told to test people, or watch them to see if what they say and do are true. That is my stance on prophecy. It will come to pass if it is of the Lord and it won't if it is not of the Lord. In your own personal relationship with God, you should know whether a prophet is speaking along the lines in which you speak to God and God speaks to you.

Now, for the rest of the story. I have never claimed to be a prophet. But during the month of December in 2005 God was pressing on my spirit to pray in the New Year. I loved the idea and was going to suggest it to my pastor. But, my spirit said no, pray in the New Year at home. Very well. I would invite my husband to pray with me. It would be a good experience for us to share. Again, I felt no. It was for me to pray. Feeling a little frightened I told my family "I believe the Lord wants me to pray in the New Year by myself." I said it in a way suggesting "If yall don't see me again you will know what happened to me." The night came and I told my family with anxiety "Well, I guess I'll go and pray in the New Year like I believe God instructed me to do."

On my knees I sang, prayed and then said "God you wanted me here for a reason. Now I will be in silence to let you speak what you have to say to me." I believe I squeezed my eyes shut half fearing the unexpected.

Long story short (joke) the Lord revealed His plans for the country for 2006, 2007, and 2008. 2006: a shaking up of the government. Corupption exposed. Shifting of people. 2007: The uprooting completed. Fall out continues this year as everything He wanted exposed is so. Calming of the storm. Everything positioned. 2008: a mighty movement of women in government and in religion and every other area of influence.

I told my husband and I said either I'm crazy or God gave me a prophecy. We decided WE would know if I were crazy by December 31, 2008. It all came to pass!!!! 2008 was a new beginning for the U.S. with women in a prominent and powerful position and women have been continually going strong.

At the begininig of 2008 while in conversation with God, He whispered to me, "Did you think I was leaving you out of the mighty movement of women? 2008, is your beginning." I believe He gave me the first prophecy so He could trust me with His prophecy (ministry) for me. I have not had another unction of prophecy since. It was a burden on the soul to receive the first one. It takes a special type of person to carry the gift of prophecy.

For those who are using this gift for their own benefit, there will be a heavy price to pay. For those who live in this gift while all others ridicule and consider you crazy - God bless you.

So, the three prophets who spoke to me told me what God had told me. Years are passing, but He lets me know His word is true. Am I on pins and needles for the prophecy to come true? YOU BET. But, I am on God's time. I can't make it come true no more than I can stop it from coming true. In the lean time; I continue to do what I happen to love to do- write; hoping to show someone the love, joy, and mercy of God.

No comments:

This Could Be Me At Your Next Event

This Could Be Me At Your Next Event
Author And Public Speaker

NEED A SPEAKER FOR YOUR NEXT EVENT?

Do you have an upcoming gardening, church, or women's event planned and need a speaker? Contact me. I can speak on various topics such as:

1. Detangling Ancient Mythology From Christianity
2. The Female Presence In The History Of Christianity
3. Superstitions and Gardening In The 21st Century
4. The Politics Of Prayer: The Bible Speaks
5. African American Geneaology: Pride From The Grave


Contact me at rizerfall@yahoo.com for booking arrangements

Book Reviews

I review for BookSneeze