True Power

True Power

Friday, November 20, 2009

Going Postal with shzron1946

(Google Image)

I was a postal worker in 1990 and very unhappy with the direction of my life. So, at the age of 44, I walked out of that job and went to college full time. This meant I had a drastic change in income since this was a sudden decision. I had worn a shoulder-length Wave Nouveau (remember that style?) for two years and when I realized I could no longer afford to maintain the style, I asked my beautician to cut me a TWA. It was a shock, but I liked the way it looked.

The reaction: Suddenly men on the street called me "Sister" and "Queen", gave me the power sign and wanted to talk Black Power politics. My family, as always, did not speak to me about the style, but I believe they had a lot of disapproval to share with each other. (Funny thing is that two of my sisters also went natural about ten years later.) I had a part-time job at the university, at first, and I noticed that many professional black women wore their hair in natural styles. I have had some interesting haircuts and a lot of compliments. For a while, as I turned gray, I dyed it, but I didn't like doing that, so I stopped dying and just let it be gray, but I do put a rinse on to bring out the silver.

Now, as professional with a masters' degree, I'm finding that I have begun to dislike cutting my hair. So I am seriously considering dreads. I want to just let it grow as long as it will, like the song says: "Don't even have to cut it cause it stops by itself!"

It's been a good experience, all in all.

No comments:

This Could Be Me At Your Next Event

This Could Be Me At Your Next Event
Author And Public Speaker

NEED A SPEAKER FOR YOUR NEXT EVENT?

Do you have an upcoming gardening, church, or women's event planned and need a speaker? Contact me. I can speak on various topics such as:

1. Detangling Ancient Mythology From Christianity
2. The Female Presence In The History Of Christianity
3. Superstitions and Gardening In The 21st Century
4. The Politics Of Prayer: The Bible Speaks
5. African American Geneaology: Pride From The Grave


Contact me at rizerfall@yahoo.com for booking arrangements

Book Reviews

I review for BookSneeze